It is very easy to get a new sim card in Delhi, there are basically three ways for a tourist to but a new mobile sim card in Delhi. First one is you can simply buy this at New Delhi airport. Secondly you can order this at your door step and third is most smartest way , you can reach out any mobile store available around your hotels. Before making any purchase ask for plans, check for validity and internet data balance.
There are many operators available in Delhi like Airtel, Vodafone Idea, Reliance JIO. As per my personal experience Airtel is best to go with, Airtel provides a seamless network across the country. Also recently in a mobile network survey Airtel takes the first spot among analysis of several use cases like high definition (HD) video calling , 1080p video streaming , web browsing , download thorough put and latency.
How to purchase a Airtel Sim Online?
During this pandemic situation Airtel is offering doorstep delivery of sim cards, with in Delhi, where you can avail this service in just two simple steps. Login to airtel.in website , Navigate to new prepaid sim card webpage, Select from the available package and enter the details to schedule a doorstep KYC. Once you submit this form , Airtel customer support will help you with delivery day and time of appointment.
Select the package and schedule a door step delivery, same way you can also opt for other service providers as well like Reliance JIO and Vodafone Idea is also providing door step delivery of new sim card. After submitting the form a customer support agent will connect with you to verify details and to confirm the time and day for the appointment.
At the time of visit of Airtel delivery partner be ready with following documents.
- Proof of Identification
- Proof of Address
Once the Airtel receives the complete set of documents , your new prepaid connection will be activated with in 4 hours .
Buying a sim card at Delhi Airport – You will find an Airtel store in Delhi international airport, located in terminal 3 between exit 4 and 5, opposite to international arrivals and next to costa coffee. Here they will ask you for a copy of passport and visa, they themselves take a photocopy of your documents. Before you approach this store , you can check the available plan online by simply connecting with Free Wifi available at Delhi airport
See how can you connect your phone with Free Wifi!
- Switch on Wifi and select GMR Free Wifi on your device
- Enter your mobile number and input OTP received
- Using the OTP set your 4 digit numeric pin to access high speed internet for 2 hours.
- If your unable to receive OTP, you can directly approach Wifi team available at information kiosk in case you have non working international number.
After getting connected with internet, you can simply log on to airtel.in and check out various plans with validity . Before leaving any shop or store in India do check your change amount you receive, some times they trick tourist by giving you smaller denomination notes and in hurry you don’t count the money.
Obtaining a SIM card in Delhi as a foreigner has become easier and more streamlined in recent years. Here is updated information on how to get a new mobile SIM card in Delhi:
- Required Documents: To get a SIM card, foreigners are typically required to provide the following documents:
- Passport: Your original passport with a valid visa is usually the primary identification document.
- Visa: A valid visa with a duration exceeding 30 days is generally required.
- Address Proof: Proof of your local address in Delhi, such as a hotel booking confirmation, rental agreement, or an electricity bill with your name and address.
- Visit an Official Store or Retailer: Visit an official store or authorized retailer of a mobile network operator (MNO) in Delhi. Major MNOs in India include Airtel, Vodafone Idea, Jio, and BSNL. You can find their stores in prominent locations, malls, and shopping centers.
- Biometric Verification: As per government regulations, you will need to undergo biometric verification at the time of purchasing the SIM card. This involves providing your fingerprints and a photograph. The retailer will assist you with the process.
- Choose a Plan: Discuss your requirements with the retailer and select a suitable plan. The plans may vary in terms of data, voice minutes, validity, and price. Prepaid plans are still the most popular choice for foreigners due to their flexibility.
- Submit Documents and Complete the Process: Provide the necessary documents mentioned above, along with any additional forms or paperwork required by the MNO. Pay the applicable charges for the SIM card and the chosen plan.
- Activation: Once you have completed the purchase process, the retailer will assist you in activating the SIM card. The activation process usually involves telephonic verification or an online process.
- Top-up and Recharge: To maintain connectivity, recharge your SIM card with prepaid credit. You can purchase top-up vouchers or use digital payment methods through mobile apps or online platforms. Recharge options are widely available, including at mobile stores, convenience stores, and online platforms.
Remember to check the specific requirements and procedures of the mobile network operator you choose, as they may have slight variations in their processes.
- Consider Network Coverage: Delhi has reliable network coverage from major MNOs. However, it is advisable to research and select an operator with good coverage and signal strength in the areas you plan to visit.
- Keep Your Documents Secure: Safeguard your passport and other identification documents during your stay in Delhi. It is advisable to carry photocopies or digital copies of your documents instead of the originals for day-to-day use.
- Local Assistance: If you face any challenges or require assistance during the process, seek help from the staff at the MNO stores or authorized retailers. They are accustomed to assisting foreigners and can provide guidance.
Always stay aware of the latest regulations and guidelines regarding SIM card purchases for foreigners, as government policies may evolve over time. It is recommended to check with official sources or consult the respective MNO’s website for updated information.